\

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Charlie Mouser

Charlie Mouser paid a visit to The Journal today. I always find him a delight. He studies and has been around. I think one of the real tragedies in Crewe is that those in power brushed this guy off for years. He is full of ideas and knows what other communities have done around the country to pull themselves out of the dumps.

I do not always agree with Mr. Mouser. But he knows a range of subjects and always is provocative.

Some of his critics in Crewe-Burkeville call him "too negative." Well, truth be told, there is a lot to be negative about in thses parts. Both towns are down for the count and new ideas to rescue them are few and far between.

I got a chuckle when Mr. Mouser asked me today, "Did I tell you how the town wouldn't listen to my proposal to have an omlette festival here and make $5 million?"

He had the ideas all mapped out with a marketing plan and all.

I recently quoted Charlie Mouser in a front-page story but did not give his name. I quoted his classic line, "Crewe is dead. They just have not had the funeral."

Charlie Mouser, who still does his marketing newsletter, has been a consultant to countless newspapers, businesses, municipalities, and other institutions. He even ran for mayor of Crewe once and got about 180 votes and was defeated for the post by Wilfred "Whip" Wilson.

"I was working in Arizona when the town voted," Mr. Mouser said today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>